Polski | English |
Krakow's churches | Main Market Square | The Cloth Hall | Wawel Hill | City Walls | Krakow Mounds | Krakow's Gallery | 3D Panoramas
Kraków Krakow's Attractions
• Churches
• Main Market Square
• The Cloth Hall
   - Gargoyles
• Wawel Hill
• Town Hall Tower
• City Walls
• Krakow Mounds
• Krakow's Gallery
Kraków krakow4u.pl
• About us


Back to
Krakow's Churches
Krakow
St. Peter's and St. Paul's Church

Benedictine abbey with St. Peter's and St. Paul's Church at Tyniec stands on rocky right bank of Vistula river. It's traditionally belived that the monks of St. Benedict were set up here in 1044 by Casimir the Restorer [Kazimierz Odnowiciel].

The Romanesque basilica was soon erected, of which fragments of walls and some architectural detailing survives. In the 15th century a new church was built on the same site, later remodelled in the 17th and 18th centuries. By that time the abbey had already gone into ruin. It's buildings damaged during the Confederation of Bar [Konfederacja Barska] hostilities, the monastery was dissolved by the Austrian authorities in 1817. The 1831 fire filled the cup of misery to overflowing. Valuable artefacts and the monastery archives were scattered and in part destroyed. The revival of the Benedictine tradition at Tyniec did not occur until third decade of the 20th century. The buildings at Tyniec are more reminiscent of a fortress than a monastery. The façade of the church with two towers is modest and it's 17th century forms do not reveal any medieval relics.

2004 - 2016 © Paweł Krzan KRFOTO | All rights reserved. Copying the materials included on this page is forbidden without the permission of the author